MARSHALL IS A PREMIER MEDICAL DEVICE CONTRACT MANUFACTURING COMPANY
Marshall was founded in 1951, providing machined components to a broad customer base. Automatic screw machines filled Marshall’s floor. Since the mid-1990’s, we’ve narrowed our focus as a medical device contract manufacturer.
MARSHALL’S HISTORY IN CONTRACT MANUFACTURING
In The Beginning, There Were Automatic Screw Machines
Marshall has a rich history in contract manufacturing, which began in 1951, when Lawrence Gagner founded Marshall Screw Products. From the beginning Marshall has delivered the highest quality components and assemblies to our customers. Lawrence initially worked by himself in a small rented space on Marshall Street in northeast Minneapolis. The location of the space in combination with the “Automatic Screw Machine” services he provided invoked the name “Marshall Screw Products.”
This is where Marshall’s history in contract manufacturing began.
Within the next five years, his business started to grow and required additional space, equipment, and people. He decided to move the company into a 4,000 square foot rental space at the Griggs Midway Building in St. Paul. Initially, Marshall specialized in short run turning work. In 1958 the company expanded the business into general machining. By the mid-1960s, Marshall acquired two smaller companies. They then began supplying metal and plastic machined components to the pneumatic, hydraulic, and meat-processing industries.
Marshall’s continued business growth necessitated the construction of a new building in 1970.
John Timmersman bought Marshall Screw Products in 1979 and updated the name to Marshall Manufacturing Company. He soon added CNC turning and CNC milling capabilities to accommodate a broader customer base. Marshall added liquid filtration, automotive, and military component manufacturing to their expanded competencies. In 1990 Marshall designed and built specialized “Gang Drilling Equipment” to facilitate the growth of their industrial filtration customers.
Marshall remodeled the shop for cellular manufacturing in 1993. The remodel initiated the reorganization of management into streamlined, problem solving, self-managed teams. The immediate result of the restructure included the creation of a safety program and procedural documentation.
Spring of 1996 marked the beginning of Marshall’s journey toward the implementation of ISO-9001, which was achieved the following year.
CNC Swiss Machining and Other Enhanced Manufacturing Capabilities
In 2001 Marshall added CNC Swiss machining capabilities and manual 2D and 3D wire and tube bending. These additional capabilities opened Marshall to greater opportunities in the medical device industry. John Timmersman was looking toward the future when he invited his daughter Pam Burchill and son-in-law Mike Burchill into the company as his designated future successors in 2004. Pam and Mike began to steer the company towards the medical device industry. Robots and additional automation were acquired in 2005, to accommodate high volume production. These robots were used within the Swiss machines to load and unload production parts. Capabilities were again expanded with the addition of CNC wire EDM in 2006. Within the next year the last of the automatic screw machines were replaced by additional CNC Swiss machines.
Since Marshall was already acquainted with manual 2D and 3D bending, the company began experimenting with CNC bending of small diameter pre-machined wire in 2007. Ultimately this would help Marshall meet the increasing volume demands and the elevated quality requirements of their prominent medical device customers. Marshall’s ingenuity and persistence lead them to new places and they are now at the forefront of CNC 2D and 3D bending for the medical device industry.
Because “minimally invasive surgery” was gaining more momentum, medical components were becoming much smaller. To accommidate this trend, “Precision Vision Inspection Equipment” was implemented for the inspection of small parts. This swiftly propelled Marshall into the medical device manufacturing space.
As Marshall enhanced their medical manufacturing capabilities, they also intensified their quality system. To better serve its growing medical device customers, Marshall successfully achieved ISO 13485 certification in 2010. Two years later Marshall added CNC laser tube machining capabilities followed by CNC laser welding in 2013.
“Lean Practices” were introduced to the Marshall management team in February of 2015. Company-wide training was implemented, and ongoing training and actions continued to be applied throughout the facility. Micro-Swiss machining capabilities were also added within the same year.
Today’s “Marshall Manufacturing Company” Offers World Class Service.
Under the ownership of Mike and Pam Burchill, Marshall Manufacturing Company supplies medical devices and components to medical OEMs in several markets including urology, orthopedic, laparoscopic and dental. Additional markets include the filtration and food industry.
Machined materials include 300 series stainless steel, 17-4 and 17-7 stainless steel, titanium, L605, MP35N and other cobalt chrome alloys. Marshall also machines a multitude of medical grade plastics. Nitinol tubing is within Marshall’s CNC laser tube cutting capabilities.
Current capabilities include CNC Swiss machining, CNC Micro-Swiss machining, CNC wire EDM and CNC laser tube machining. Additional capabilities include CNC 2D and 3D bending of small diameter pre-machined tube and wire, and CNC laser welding.
The scope of machined components Marshall provides to medical OEM’s include introducers, cannulas, external fixation products, laparoscopic components and more. As a premier medical device contract manufacturing company, Marshall offers customers world-class quality and service.
Close-up of Laser Tube Cutting Process